Food Grants You Can Immediately Apply For if You Have Low Income
Struggling with money can be a tough situation at times and can cause a lot of stress. There are bills to pay, loans to pay back, food to put on the table and assuring your family a secure environment. So all of them can add and put you under a lot of stress. Fortunately, food grants are the types you can apply for immediately and the government will make sure you’re taking care of.
When situations aren’t really sunny and you need to apply for food too, you can do multiple actions:
1. You can call the National Hunger Hotline at 1-866-3-HUNGRY (1-866-348-6479) or 1-877-8-HAMBRE (1-877-842-6273) in Spanish. You can call anytime from Monday to Friday, 7:00 A.M- 10:00 P.M. Eastern time.
2. You can find a local food bank. You can search them by their zip code here.
3. You can also contact the community or a religious organization.
For people with income, the state comes to their aid with the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP), which was previously known as food stamps. This method will help you have a bigger budget for food.
Eligibility: Find out if meet the requirements to receive food here.
You can also opt for the pre-screening eligibility tool will help you determine more easily if you can start writing complete your form.
How to Apply
You can contact your local SNAP office and ask them for more details first. Contact your state’s office here.
What Will I Receive
Every month you will get your benefits on an EBT ( a plastic electronic benefits transfer card). It can be used like a credit or debit card to purchase eligible food items at your local authorized SNAP grocery stores and at some farmer’s markets.
Here are more answers to your questions for this program.
WIC Program for Women and Infants
If you’re a mother, there are available more food grants for you and your family.
To apply for it, you should be pregnant in at least 6 months or breastfeeding. You can find out all information you need here.
Free Programs for School-Age Children
There are several food grants for children that can be received by your child if you meet some requirements:
- The National School Lunch Program and School Breakfast Program, that will give your children free or discounted meals on school days.
- The Special Milk Program, which provides milk to kids at schools and childcare centers that don’t offer the national school breakfast and lunch programs.
- The Summer Food Service Program, which offers free, healthy breakfasts and lunches to kids over summer break.
Free Programs for Seniors
If you’re 60 or older and have a low income, you can apply here.
There are 2 available programs:
- For the Commodity Supplemental Food Program, call 1-866-348-6479 for the Commodity Food Program in order to find your state contact or find the closest food distribution contact to you.
- The Farmers’ Market Program- If you receive Food Stamps (SNAP) or Commodity Supplemental Food packages, contact your local office.
There are a lot of ways US helps its people improve their life. Food Grants are for the ones who need urgent help. We are going to explore all kinds of grants available.
Meanwhile, you can check these 12 Business Grants Available in US.