While many of us are glad school is over, this is not the case for everybody. Children from low-income families receive meals through school programs during the year, but on vacation, they might struggle with lack of food.

This is why The Summer Food Service Program (SFSP) will provide nutritious foods to children who come from low-income families.

Find a Food Program for You Online

You can find a food grant in your area online, by using this tool and search by clicking on the map, enter your address, then click on “locate” and finally click on “any blue dot”.

Find a Food Program for You Through the Phone 

If you want to find out information about a program in your area, you can call National Hunger Hotline at 1-866-3-HUNGRY. For Spanish speakers call at 1-877-8 HAMBRE.

You have the option to send an SMS too. Text “FOOD” (English speakers) or ” COMIDA” (for Spanish speakers) to 877-877.

If you are an adult wanting to sign in for free meals, below are programs available for you: 

1. Commodity Supplemental Food Program (CSFP)- People eligible to receive free meals through this program are: low-income elderly persons at least 60 years of age by supplementing their diets with nutritious USDA Foods;  Women, infants, and children.

2. Food Distribution Program on Indian Reservations (FDPIR)– 

Food grants eligible for “low-income households, including the elderly, living on Indian reservations, and to Native American families residing in designated areas near reservations and in the State of Oklahoma.”

3. The Emergency Food Assistance Program (TEFAP)

This program provides emergency food and nutrition assistance at no cost to Americans in all age categories.

4. Women, Infants, and Children (WIC)

This program is dedicated to mothers, babies, and children up to 5 years who don’t afford nutritional food.

If you want to find other grants, you might want to check:

Photo Credit: Bangor Daily News

Facebook Comments